Wednesday 9 March 2016

Colour Story | Navy

No comments:
 
It's been a hot minute since the last post in my Colour Story series, all about encouraging neutrals gals (like myself) to have some fun and incorporate colour in a wearable way. I've known since the fall that I wanted Navy to be the next instalment in this series, since I feel as though it's such a flattering colour that doesn't get as much attention as it deserves!


The Products


L'Oreal Silkissime Liner in Plum | They may have named it Plum, but to me this liner is a deep rich navy with perhaps slighty warm purple undertones. The formula on these pencils is beautiful - creamy full colour that is blendable, but once it sets, it's made to last.

Marcelle Dip Liner in Navy | I was on the hunt for a navy liquid liner for so long, and this one is definitely the best of the bunch (and from the drugstore!). The applicator isn't my favourite, but the formula is instantly opaque and dries down to a matte finish. If I want a more fine line, I'll use an angle brush for more precision. 

NYX Morocco/Asphyxiation | They don't sell this particular single shadows anymore, but Asphyxiation in their current collection seems very close. This is a brighter indigo-navy with a bit of a duochrome which is really pretty for a little extra pop of colour. 

Coastal Scents Rainstorm | This shade is a true deep navy blue with a silvery grey shimmer. It is richly pigmented and only $2 - who could beat that? It's the colours in this little quad that inspired me to create the look I did below!

Revlon Nail Enamel in Urban | I thought I'd throw in a navy polish, since it's one of my favourite colours for the nails. It's a deep, rich colour that may appear close to black in low light, but I love wearing it with a super glossy top coat so that the blue catches the light.

The Look



EYES | I used some tape with the majority of the stickiness removed on the back of my hand to ensure a defined wing shape for my shadows. After priming with my Milani Eyeshadow primer, I mixed together Frisk and Cover from the Naked 2 Basics palette for blending all over the lid and slightly up into the crease. Using an angled liner brush I created a medium wing with L'Oreal Plum Silkissime Liner. Using a clean pencil brush I blended out the liner to soften the line, before adding Coastal Scents Rainstorm a little at a time to smoke out the line even further and bring it into the outer corner.  A used just a little bit of Urban Decay Naked along the edges of the navy and taupe to help warm up the brow bone just a tad. I finished the upper lashline by tightlining with the L'Oreal liner and adding plenty of mascara.

Using a small fluffy brush I laid down Frisk all along the lower lashline for some soft definition, and topped with Rainstorm closer to the lashline in the outer corner, connecting with the upper wing.

FACE | To balance out my pale skin and deeper eye makeup I used my ride or die pair of NYC Sunny Bronzer and Tarte Exposed to bring some warmth back into the face, and added some of Laura Mercier's Matte Radiance highlight to the cheekbones and inner corner of my eyes.

LIPS | To tie into the cooler tones of the eyes I used Estee Lauder Pinkberry - a pinky-mauve neutral shade.

Are you a navy fan? What colour would you like to see next?

keep up with me: bloglovin' | instagram | pinterest | twitter
xoNadia

No comments:

Post a Comment